Pages

Sunday 13 September 2020

This Land of Monsters

 

This is soooo awful! How can humans be so heartless? It is difficult to put it up into words. My heart aches and I am numb. Can you just imagine the trauma she is going through at the moment? Unfortunately the society she lives in always blames a woman with their big mouths and tiny minds.

This incident has literally drenched me into tears; I am not able to eat properly. This has traumatized me to the core. This could be me. I do travel a lot and alone all the time from Lahore to Islamabad and Jhelum frequently. This incident has affected every one of us in more ways than one. #Lahoremotorwayrape

The rape and murder of young girls, kids and women is becoming new normal, we need to stand up. We need to educate our sons accordingly that EVERY woman deserves respect. We need to educate our kids about the good touch and the bad touch. This is utterly indispensable. We have to stop this NOW. I am nor a feminist neither I support such campaigns. But at this point I believe both men and women need to challenge basic socio-cultural norms to stop this. I do not support any political party either but I want this Government really need to invest in strengthening justice system. And yes the gender-sensitive training is needed for all those who work in the justice and security sectors.

 I remember once i was travelling, probably late September 2019. And that was a little incident but it has become the most horrific incident in my life until today and scared the hell out of me. I was supposed to catch a flight early in the morning around 4:00 am from Brussels to Prague. To cut the story short when I was leaving the hostel, there was nobody at reception and it was dark and quite. Hostel door was automatic; once you exit you cannot enter again. When I stepped out, I was reciting ayat-ul-kursi. I saw a light at the left corner of the street in a shop as someone is watching T.V. I said such a relief that somebody is up and I start walking. As soon as I reached at the end of the street, three boys came out of that shop and they were shouting and started running after me, I turned right and keep walking and I was unable to drag my trolley. Suddenly a door opened and young tall boy came out. I hold his arm as tightly as I could and whispered help me. He did not respond and I was holding his arm with one hand and dragging trolley with other hand, walking with him briskly. There were stairs and then a bridge and then stairs again. They were shouting loudly, abusing and running after us. But when we crossed the bridge they did not chase. After 5 minute walk the guy said you are safe now and here is the shuttle stop that goes to airport. I thanked him twice.

I was shivering and tears were going through my eye and then bus came. I got into the bus, later I was looking for that guy in bus but he was nowhere.... I believe he was an angel. I daily think about this incident at bed time and it gives me goose bumps – WHAT IF that angel does not appear?  I informed my sister and she scolded me and told me to cancel the trip and come back home. I told my best friend and got a reply that it can happen anywhere in the world when you are a solo female traveler and and you should not travel late night. Just forget it and enjoy rest of the trip. For next few days i was so scared to talk and be friend with people. I canceled all my early morning and late night flights.This incident shattered my confidence. So can you imagine the state of that woman right now?  We have failed a mother, we have failed our kids, and our men have failed us.

Congratulations we are ranked at number 6 as the most unsafe country for women.

 Why women are not safe on this planet??

No comments:

Post a Comment